Previously, people needed to carry their foods while travelling on the train. They could also get food from the pantry-car of the train. However, the facility of e-catering service is now very beneficial for people in prior booking suitable food for train journey. You only need to enter the website of IRCTC, to make this online booking from your computer at home. You may also download the relevant app on your smartphone from Google Play Store or App Store, to book your meal on the train. You can also call up the toll-free number of IRCTC, to make this booking over the phone.
Vital information about booking train meals online
- You may be wondering if the e-catering service is available on the train that you will be boarding. Luckily, this service is now available on all major trains running around the country, which stop at all the major stations on their routes.
- This service is available for both passengers having e-tickets and ones who buy train tickets from the reservation counters.
- If your train ticket is still on the waiting list, you can still book your meal on that train through e-catering via your mobile phone or computer. But you will be served this meal only if your train ticket is confirmed by the time the chart for catering service on the scheduled date is prepared.
- If you book multiple train tickets with 1 PNR and all are not yet confirmed, you can still book food from the e-catering service on that train for all of you.
- The minimum amount for food booking varies from one e-catering service provider to another. Similarly, this amount varies from location to location, depending on the route of your train and where you want the meal to be served.
- You need to check whether the e-catering service on a train is available before you reach your destination at the stipulated time.
Few rules for delivering meals when the train runs too late
Indian Railway Catering and Tourism (IRCTC) monitors the travelling time of every train. If the train runs late, your ordered food will be served at the scheduled station even after the stipulated time. However, if the train is too late and it reaches that station much beyond the working hours of the e-catering service, you will not get the delivery of your meal. In that case, you will get a full refund of its prepaid cost, if you have already paid it online. Only the bank charges will be deducted from the paid amount in this regard.
How will you know if the booking of your meal is confirmed?
When you complete the e-booking of your food for train journey, you will get an SMS on your registered mobile number and an email on your given email id. All details of this order will be mentioned in this SMS and email. The SMS will also contain an OTP that you should provide during the delivery of your ordered meal on the train, to avoid confusion of the service provider among so many passengers.
Thus, you can be definite about getting your preferred meal while travelling on the train to your destination.