Red chilies are a type of hot pepper that are widely used in cooking to add flavor and heat to dishes. They are a member of the Capsicum genus of plants and are related to other types of peppers such as cayenne and jalapeno. Red chillies are typically small, pointed, and bright red in color, although they can also be green or orange. They are commonly dried and ground into a powder for use as a spice or used fresh in dishes such as curries, stews, and soups. The heat of red chillies is due to a compound called capsaicin, which is found in the seeds and membranes of the pepper. Capsaicin is known for its health benefits, including its anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving properties.
To know about the pros and cons of consuming red chillies, read here.
What are the pros of eating red chilly?
Red chillies have been associated with a range of health benefits due to the presence of capsaicin, the compound that gives them their heat. Here are some of the potential benefits of consuming red chillies:
- Boosts metabolism: Capsaicin has been shown to increase metabolic rate and aid in weight loss by promoting fat oxidation.
- Reduces inflammation: Capsaicin has anti-inflammatory properties that may help to reduce inflammation and swelling in the body.
- Lowers blood sugar levels: Some studies have found that capsaicin may help to lower blood sugar levels and improve insulin sensitivity.
- Improves heart health: Capsaicin has been shown to improve heart health by reducing cholesterol levels, improving blood flow, and reducing the risk of blood clots.
- Pain relief: Capsaicin has been used for centuries as a natural pain reliever, and is commonly used in topical creams and patches to alleviate pain associated with arthritis, neuropathy, and other conditions.
- Boosts immunity: Capsaicin has been shown to have antibacterial and antiviral properties that may help to boost the immune system and reduce the risk of infection.
However, it is much more important for you to remember that consuming more red chilies can be dangerous as well. Consume it but not in heavy quantities.
What are the cons of consuming red chillies?
While red chillies offer a range of health benefits, there are also some potential downsides to consider. Here are some cons to consuming red chillies:
- Gastrointestinal distress: Excessive consumption of red chillies can cause gastrointestinal distress, including stomach pain, diarrhea, and vomiting. Individuals with sensitive digestive systems may be particularly susceptible to these effects.
- Irritation: Capsaicin in red chillies can cause skin and eye irritation when handling and inhalation of capsaicin powder can cause respiratory irritation.
- Heartburn: Red chillies may worsen heartburn or acid reflux symptoms in some individuals due to their spicy nature.
- Interactions with medications: Capsaicin can interact with certain medications, including blood thinners, and may increase the risk of bleeding.
- Addiction: Some people may become addicted to the heat of red chilies and crave increasingly spicy foods, which can lead to overconsumption and potential negative effects.
Overall, it is very much recommended that people should always consult their dietician before consuming red chilies as they can help you the best. They will let you know whether they are good for you or not. If good start consuming but if not then you should not.
To know more check wellhealthorganic.com:red-chilli-you-should-know-about-red-chilli-uses-benefits-side-effects.